Today we chat to chunky knitter Samantha of Abby St Claire Blankets
Happy Wednesday again friends! Today's featured seller is Samantha of Abby St Claire Blankets who creates these fabulous chunky knit blankets and accessories.
1. Share a little about yourself … what makes you you?
I am a NZ born Chinese, with a kiwi accent and a Dutch surname! I was born and raised in Wellington and moved to Melbourne in 2004. Since then, I also lived in London for a couple of years seeing the World. I returned to Melbourne in 2009. Craig and I married in 2013. After working in the insurance industry for many years, I am now a stay at home mum to Claire and Abby who are about to turn 3 and 1 respectively.
2. What inspired you to create your business and how long have you been trading for?
With the arrival of Abby last year, Craig suggested I come up with a home business idea . After much thought I came up with the idea of knitting chunky Australian merino blankets and that is how Abby St. Claire was born. I opened my Etsy store last November.
3. Why did you choose the name you did for your business?
As my daughters Claire and Abby were the inspiration for my business, I wanted to include their names. The word "Saint" comes from our street name.
4. What do you sell and what sets them apart from other similar items on the market?
Initially, I started just hand knitting chunky merino blankets, but I now also make t-shirt yarn throw cushions. I believe I have set myself apart from other sellers by sourcing my merino wool from a local Australian wool mill. My tshirt yarn cushions are also made from sustainable materials. The t-shirt yarn has been created from scrap material that was destined for the landfill and the inner's are made from recycled PET bottles.
5. If you could achieve anything you could imagine (without the boundaries of money or everyday life) what would your greatest dream for your business be?
It would be a dream to see my blankets featured in lifestyle magazines :)
6. Where do you work on your business, and what platforms are you using to sell from (both online or offline)?
All of my blankets and cushions are made at home when I can find some spare time from motherhood! I don't know what I would do without my iPhone. As well as my Etsy store, I also have a Madeit store and a stand alone Big Cartel store.
7. If you were starting again on Etsy now what would you do differently?
I now have a better understanding on the importance of SEO, key words, descriptions etc. Before I joined Etsy I was totally oblivious.
8. What is the most useful thing you have learned while using Etsy?
I have learnt so much since joining the Australian Wandarrah Team. Not only is everyone very supportive, but there is an abundance of tips that have helped me set up my shop.
9. Outside your business, what inspires you?
I love traveling and photography (both of which have been put on the back burner since having children). Whilst in London, I tried to see as much of Europe as possible. It was such an eye opener to be immersed in different cultures and history. Now that I have settled back in Melbourne, my inspiration lies at home with Craig watching our girls grow.
10. If you could inspire the world with a quote, what would it be?
As a Virgo, I must remember this quote "Don't make it more complicated than it needs be."
11. Where can we find out more about your business?
You can find out more about my Business under the About tab on my Etsy Store.
In the near future I also hope to find more time to post more regularly on my blog - abbystclaire.blogspot.com.au
Kelly from Colourscape Studios and and Kaz from Kazzycaboodles are currently the writers for the Australian Wandarrah Blog. If you'd like to join us on a fulltime or casual basis, please convo Kelly on Etsy for more details!