Today we chat with felt artist and maker, Narelle of Felt By Narelle.
Happy Wednesday friends!
Today's Interviewee is Narelle from Felt by Narelle, and she creates felted goods such as clutches, sunglass cases, cats toys and a whole heap more!
1. Share a little about yourself … what makes you you?
I think I have a need to create things, pretty things, something out of nothing except in my mind, and I get a great satisfaction out of this.
2. What inspired you to create your business and how long have you been trading for?
After a busy life of hairdressing, shop displays and many years of traveling I found it hard to retire and needed a hobby. So I taught myself off the internet how to make my own felt, and finding it fascinating I wanted to use this Art to make every day things. This is where the Idea of Etsy came in and I opened my shop.... it will be 2 years ago this July.
3. Why did you choose the name you did for your business?
Felt is the product I make, so it just had to go with my name....Felt by Narelle.
4. What do you sell and what sets them apart from other similar items on the market?
My Products are varied; I make Cat Caves, Toys and Collars, to Handbags, Purses, Pouches, Sleeves to Dryer Balls and Felted Soap toNursery Mobiles and Picture Montages, Stand alone ART, Fibre Art Paintings and Montages!
Actually anything connected to wool, I am always coming up with new ideas, and I like to think that what sets me apart from my competition is that I really don't see any similar shops that sell such a variety of wool products. BUT I always try and find a need in the market place and then try to fill it. Maybe not quite the same but with my own twist.
5. If you could achieve anything you could imagine (without the boundaries of money or everyday life) what would your greatest dream for your business be?
What would my dreams be is REALLY OUT THERE! I would love to have a successful product that people could look at and recognise as mine, like you can with the great designers.
6. Where do you work on your business, and what platforms are you using to sell from (both online or offline)?
I work at home wherever I can find the space. My dining table is my work table and my lounge chair has a *mobile mini studio chair, of all my hand work needs* beside it. ETSY is my only selling platform.
7. If you were starting again on Etsy now what would you do differently?
If I was starting on Etsy again I would LEARN Etsy's Titles,Tags,and Descriptions and the reason they need to be written this way. Then I would work on Photographs. Both I am still learning now and have rewritten them SO many times and it is a never ending lesson which if learned to begin with, it would have saved so much angst.
8. What is the most useful thing you have learned while using Etsy?
What I have learned best on Etsy is not to be scared that your work is not good enough and to be PROUD of your Creations.
9. Outside your business, what inspires you?
What inspires me is colours; bright happy colours and pretty things, be it a rainbow, a sunset, children with face paintings, beautiful scenes, just every day happy!
10. If you could inspire the world with a quote, what would it be?
My Quote would be *Never say Die*. Never give up on your dreams.
11. Where can we find out more about your business?